Friday 3 April 2015

Recipe: Fruity curry

My Mum makes an awesome fruity curry, but the rest of my family aren't curry lovers so her version is so mild you can barely taste the curry! I grew up eating it so it has a special place in my heart but since getting together with SBB he's introduced me to 'proper' curries so although it doesn't have quite enough of a kick for me anymore I still crave the combination of fruit and curry.

The list of ingredients is fairly small and it can be whipped up in a relatively short time.



The recipe serves two and is pretty customisable. You could throw in a diced stalk of celery, or a whole apple, dried cranberries instead of sultanas or even a few nuts. When I came to make this the other night I realised I didn't have any apricots (boo!) I did, however, have some cashew nuts so I threw those in instead and it was pretty awesome!

A tip for the apple is to choose the crunchiest one you can - I made the mistake of using a 'softer' one last time I made it and the apple was a little soggy, but then I always prefer my apples crunchy - if you don't, just add whichever apples you like as it won't really effect the recipe.

I usually make this recipe with cooked chicken - sometimes I can pick up a discounted fresh chicken from Co-Op for about £1.50 so I cook it as soon as I get home, strip off the meat and portion it into bags and freeze it to later use in pasta dishes, sandwich fillings and curries.

Ingredients:
  • 20g of butter (or a couple of sprays of light oil if you're calorie counting)
  • 2 fresh chicken breasts, diced (or 200g cooked chicken, shredded)
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 3 tbsp curry powder
  • 1/2 apple, diced
  • Small handful of apricots, diced
  • 70g sultanas
  • 500ml chicken stock
  • Salt to taste
 Melt the butter, or heat the oil, in a medium pan over a medium heat. If you're using fresh chicken, add this to the pan and cook until each side has a bit of colour - about 6 minutes.

Add onion and garlic to the pan and saute until translucent - about 6 minutes. If you're using pre-cooked chicken, add it to the pan now and stir in the curry powder. You may need to add a little water to stop the powder sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Add apple, apricots, sultanas (or whatever fruit/nuts you've chosen) and stock. Season with salt if you wish. Simmer for 10 minutes of until the sauce thickens.

I usually serve with 70g (dried weight) of brown rice or over a baked potato.


Do you have a fruity curry recipe? What fruit do you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment