Thursday 28 April 2016

Problems in the bedroom

I don't know what you're thinking that titles means, particularly after admitting about cheating recently but I'm talking about mould.

Yes folks, we have a mouldy bedroom. We noticed it the first winter after we moved in and I became very familiar with the use of Ronseal's Mould Remover. However, it always seemed to come back. We'd been thinking about redecorating with some bathroom anti-mould paint but never quite seemed to get round to it.

Then, after the success with the Thermalmix in the nursery we decided it would be a good idea to paint the walls with the insulation paint before doing a top coat of bathroom paint.

The job had been lingering on my 'to do' list for a while until one day I bought the Thermalmix on Amazon and trundled off to B&Q to buy paint, because what else do you really want to be doing when you're 35 weeks pregnant other than squeezing behind the bed to strip and paint the bedroom wall?

I practically soaked the wall with mould remover before setting to work with the insulating paint.






I'd painted almost all of the wall when I noticed a tiny little flake in the last unpainted corner. I picked at it.


So, yeah. I ended up peeling off quite a bit of the old paint I'd just painted over. I was a little afraid of what SBB would say, but he didn't seem to mind too much. The good thing about peeling off the old paint was that it showed that it was riddled with mould - which could have meant regrowth - but the plaster itself was mould-free. So it turned out to be a good thing!

I ended up doing three coats. The instructions call for two but I wanted to be sure the wall was completely covered and covered well.

When it came to choosing colour I was struck with a small problem. I wanted to buy the Dulux bathroom paint as it came with a 5 year anti-mould guarantee, but they didn't have any in a similar sunny shade of yellow that I'd painted the room previously. They did have a yellow in the B&Q 'every room' paint - suitable for kitchens and bathrooms - but I wasn't sure about the anti-mould properties. I went with 'magnolia' in the Dulux bathroom paint. On the walls it looks more peach than magnolia, but I don't really mind. The room feels lovely and bright, so I'd call it a success!




No comments:

Post a Comment