Sunday 8 May 2016

37 weeks pregnant - full term

So I'm full term! From this point baby could arrive at any time. I suppose, technically, there's always been that possibility but at least now there's less of a chance that baby would need to go into the NICU.

This week I had one of the best night's sleep I've had in months. I got up twice in the night but still felt incredibly rested in the morning. I've still been having shooting pains down my right leg, but I've been doing my best to take it easy.

The day I turned 37 weeks I experienced what I presume to be false labour. I had some clenching 'pain' similar to period cramps, quite a lot of watery discharge, some Braxton Hicks and some un-explained blood. Saying that sort of sounds like something was happening and I should have called my midwife, but suffice it to say - without going into icky detail - I monitored the situation and it wasn't anything to worry about.

Apparently the baby is now the size of a watermelon. When we saw the midwife on Tuesday she said it was partially engaged, but not to the point where it would stay that way. I'm still feeling lots of kicks and baby still like to shove its foot up under my ribs.

I can't believe how fast these last few weeks have gone. I'm equal parts reluctant for the pregnancy to end because I love having Monkey Nut inside me but I'm also really excited to meet them. I'm becoming more convinced it's a girl.

I find it hard to believe that I'll be going into labour - it just seems like the sort of thing that women do - like it's too grown up for me or something. Although, judging by some of the people on One Born Every Minute, even women without the slightest bit of maturity go through it, so perhaps it should be more believable.

Perineal massage is still very much hit and miss and I haven't been doing it nearly as much as I should. I just don't think I'm doing it right so find it hard to convince myself to schedule it regularly - particularly as my 'area' is feeling decidedly sore due to the PGP.

My belly button is so flat that it's almost - almost - popping out. It's weird - because it's almost turned inside out - the skin that would have been inside feels numb compared to the rest of my belly.

I haven't mentioned stretch marks at all in my previous weekly updates - because I haven't got any. I sort of thought that at least one or two would creep in at the end, but, here I am full term and stretch mark free. Instead, however, I have spider veins on my right lower leg. They're pretty ugly - it's like someone's taken a cricket bat to my calf and foot, I'm covered in purple splodges.


No comments:

Post a Comment